Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Day 29 St. John's


Mary-Kate has arrived! The day was lovely, the weather was beautiful, we had fun and explored. Mary-Kate arriving overshadowed all else! Yesterday I waxed philosophical about the meaning of home. Today my heart came home to its restful place. My baby is back with me.

People have commented on how much I must worry about her when she’s away at sea. Truth is I really don’t. She is a confident, accomplished young woman and we are extremely proud of her. We know she can look after herself and is well set to tackle whatever may come. Now that she has her Mike, we worry a little less. They are clearly smitten and now we know she has someone to look out for, who will, in turn, look out for her! What I do feel though when she is away is a sadness – I miss her! I stood at the bottom of the stairs today waiting for her to come down, back into our daily lives, and I was so overwhelmed with excitement that I started to cry. I sopped up that silly mess before she arrived but held her so tight that perhaps there was a teensy problem with circulation for just a moment! She is back! Mike has already sent a message last night (she hadn’t yet arrived here and had only left him that morning) saying, “Can you give back my person now please. You had enough time.” I know how he feels. A daily Mary-Kate is a wonderful thing!

It struck me when talking to Jonathan yesterday that he and Mary-Kate have no memory of Newfoundland. We were here with them but they were so little, neither of them remember it. I have trouble wrapping my head around that. I know that they both feel connected and appreciate their Newfoundland roots, but to think that it’s more of a “concept” for them than an actual place, that’s odd. I haven’t yet mentioned this conversation to Mary-Kate but shortly after she arrives she says, “I am really looking forward to getting to know Newfoundland. It’s funny for me to think that I don’t know something that is such a huge part of you.”

We go back first to the trailer to drop her things and get her some lunch and then head up to Signal Hill. She delights in the crazy criss-cross of roads and the Jelly Bean houses. Things that she has heard about and pictures that she’s seen hanging in her home – now a reality, and I don’t think a disappointment! Signal Hill is a great visit in itself, but I figure its location overlooking the harbour and the city makes it a good location to offer her an overview.

As I am giving her the hilltop tour, a woman wanders close and announces that she’s eavesdropping! Eventually Mary-Kate wanders off with David and leaves me with this woman who had loads of questions and takes out paper and pen as we begin planning her visit across the island. She is traveling from BC. She has never been to Newfoundland before. She just arrived today and it already discussing how she wants to change her Port aux Basques crossing so she can stay longer! I was happy to help but eventually excuse myself to go find Mary-Kate and David. Throughout the rest of our visit to Signal Hill, each time I turned around, there was my new friend, always within ear shot!

Back to the trailer via Quidi Vidi for a little nap (less than five hours sleep in last three days, three flights and two days of travel – she’s doing amazingly well but I don’t think she will be allowing Carnival to arrange her flights in future!) and a shower. When we managed to pry her out of bed we went to Grant and Ruth’s for supper. As is always the case when you visit my brother and his lovely Ruth, there was tons of laughter and good food and drink! It had to be an early night though to get our princess home to bed!

Today there are four pictures on my camera and I’m in three of them! I borrowed David’s camera just to include a shot of St. John’s harbour and Cabot Tower on Signal Hill! I am sure when things settle into a routine of David and Mary-Kate taking pictures, I will once again have lots of pictures to share. Today I was a little focused … on Mary-Kate. She didn’t have much chance to take pictures either with me clinging on to her for most of the day!!
Support posts at the airport. The whole city, in fact the province is one big add for the Beaumont Hamel display at the Rooms. Really looking forward to seeing this but waiting for Andrew and Michelle to arrive.

Oxygen stealing hugs!

My baby!

On Signal Hill (Fort Amherst on the Sound Side of The Narrows in the background)


A view of St. John's from Signal Hill (stolen from David's camera)

Cabot Tower on Signal Hill where Marconi sent the first wireless message (also stolen from David's camera)

No comments:

Post a Comment