Saturday, July 9, 2016

Day 6 Newfoundland Codroy Valley


I’m home! It feels funny to say that since where my children, grandchildren and life are is now home, but there is something about Newfoundland that always makes me feel like I’ve come home. Newfoundland looks different, feels different (or at least makes me feel differently), and smells different than anywhere else I have ever been. The air is sweeter and there is a contentedness that just seeps into my bones. I often wonder if we had moved back, as we had always planned, if I would have the same feeling? I guess I will never know but for now I will savor the sensations of being home!

Since we have started on this holiday I have been sleeping well – very unusual for me! Going to bed last night we decided we should set an alarm as we were supposed to be at the ferry terminal before 10:00. Little did I know there was no need to worry! I was bright eyed and bushy tailed at 5:30, not able to get back to sleep for the anticipation and excitement of heading to Newfoundland. Honestly, sometimes I am nothing but a big kid, so excited I can barely contain myself! I was skipping onto that ferry this morning with a huge grin and a chipper good morning (far more than most people need at that hour when they are facing a long travel day – I am sure there are folks scattered about Newfoundland at the moment talking about that crazy-happy lady on the ferry this morning!!).

Our ferry ride was relatively uneventful. Chatting to people from near and far, some going home, some visiting from all over the world for the first time, it was a diverse group heading over the waves! It certainly isn’t a cruise ship and the motion had me drifting off in no time, but not before a feed of fish and chips (with gravy) and a Black Horse! I woke and headed to the window in time to watch land appear, as if from nowhere, and watch tiny, playful porpoises (the Newfoundlander sitting next to me called them Squid Hounds, apparently the local name!) guide our route into Port aux Basques.

Once allowed to return to the vehicle decks we were on our way in no time and enjoying our view of the Table Mountains and then the Codroy Valley on our short drive to the Codroy Valley RV Park in The Doyles where we will spend the next four nights. The park is great, full-serviced, large lots, overlooking the Grand Codroy River, hiking on site and owners with loads of Newfie hospitality and a great sense of humour. As we cozied in for the night, and with an outside temperature of 9 degrees you really want to “cozy in”, I am brimming with eager anticipation at the thought of wandering here for the next few days. The last time we were in this portion of the province it was 1982 and it’s high time we became reacquainted!
Not a cruise ship but it will get the job done.

Not health food, but some good!

The first glimpse of the Island.

Table Mountains

When sun rays crown her pine clad hills...view from our campground.

Hiking trail that's here

Our evening hike in the sweet smelling woods.

1 comment:

  1. You are my favourite crazy-happy newfie!! So glad you are both having such a wonderful time. Xox

    ReplyDelete